Friday, November 17, 2006

MEGAtsunami


After the online review I redirected my project to map one of the effects of a terrestrial impact, mainly the MEGAtsunami. Upon conducting some research I found out that the only way a MEGAtsunami is generated is by displacing a very large amount of water all at once. Examples include a meteor impact or a LARGE scale landslide (incontrast to a tsunami which can be caused by earthquakes and plate subduction). Upon further investigation I discovered that the explosion of volcanos can lead to this type of large scale water displacement as the land from the volcano rapidly displaces water. I located 3 active volcanos that are potential threats for megatsunami's. One in the pacific (La Palma, Canary Islands), one in the atlantic (Kilaueau, Hawaii), and one in the Indian ocean (Piton de la Fournaise,La RĂ©union Island). I set the disturb tool to "circular wave" and set the paramiters so that the wave will show the travel time of the MEGAtsunami, between each peak of the waves on my map is 1hr of travel time from the MEGAtsunami's origin. I have separated my earth mesh into different sections so that each spread can be seen clearly. The section relates the height of the potential MEGAtsunami to the travel time.
image showing the 3 potential megatsunami sitesmap showing travel time of the MEGAtsunami wave from t=0hrs to t=6hrssection relating distance traveled to height:
each hash mark on the arrow represents 1hr of travel time while the initial height of the wave is 700m
east elevation diagram showing densities of the wave forms

destruction mappings

No comments: